This is a standby family favorite. Most meat eaters are surprised by how good this recipe is. Don’t omit the raisins or currants because they are key ingredients. Serve with fresh fruit squeezed with lime or a lime sorbet for dessert.
Makes filling for 6 servings
(enough to fill three corn tortillas or one large whole-grain tortilla).
- 1 cup onions, minced
- 1/2 cup celery, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup lentils, dry
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp raisins, black currant, or dried cranberries, finely chopped
- 1 cup mild to hot salsa
- Corn tortillas (warmed in microwave, oven, or unoiled pan)
- Shredded lettuce*
- Chopped tomatoes*
- Shredded vegan cheese (optional)*
*Toppings not included in the nutrient content list.
- In a large frying pan, sauté onions, celery, and garlic over medium heat in the olive oil for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the broth and raisins, currants, or cranberries. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Remove the lid and cook, stirring often, until the lentils are thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in the salsa.
- Spoon the lentil mixture into warmed, softened tortillas. Top with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, onions, additional salsa, and cheese (optional).
Nutrition Content of Filling (and Three Small Corn Tortillas)
158 calories (328 kcal) • 29 g carbohydrate (61.2 g) (2 grains) • 9 g protein (12.4 g) (1 protein) • 2 g fat (3.8 g) (~½ cup + serving vegetables [more with toppings]) • 5.6 g fiber (13.3g) • 2.9 mg iron (76 g) • 48 mg calcium (76 g) 1.3 mg zinc (1.71 mg)